What statistics can offer to Decision Makers
- Descriptive Statistics
- Basic statistics - which of the statistics (e.g. median, average, percentiles etc...) are more relevant to different distributions
- Graphs - significance of getting it right (e.g. how the way the graph is created reflects the decision)
- Variable types - what variables are easier to deal with
- Ceteris paribus, things are always in motion
- Third variable problem - how to find the real influencer
- Inferential Statistics
- Probability value - what is the meaning of P-value
- Repeated experiment - how to interpret repeated experiment results
- Data collection - you can minimize bias, but not get rid of it
- Understanding confidence level
- Decision making with limited information
- how to check how much information is enough
- prioritizing goals based on probability and potential return (benefit/cost ratio ration, decision trees)
- How errors add up
- Butterfly effect
- Black swans
- What is Schrödinger's cat and what is Newton's Apple in business
- Cassandra Problem - how to measure a forecast if the course of action has changed
- Google Flu trends - how it went wrong
- How decisions make forecast outdated
- Forecasting - methods and practicality
- Why naive forecasts are usually more responsive
- How far a forecast should look into the past?
- Why more data can mean worse forecast?
Statistical Methods useful for Decision Makers
- Describing Bivariate Data
- Univariate data and bivariate data
- why things differ each time we measure them?
- Normal Distributions and normally distributed errors
- Independent sources of information and degrees of freedom
- Logic of Hypothesis Testing
- What can be proven, and why it is always the opposite what we want (Falsification)
- Interpreting the results of Hypothesis Testing
- Testing Means
- How to determine a good (and cheap) sample size
- False positive and false negative and why it is always a trade-off
Good maths skills are required. Exposure to basic statistics (i.e. working with people who do the statistical analysis) is required.
Modeling and how to fit the data to model
I enjoyed the self-learning through exercises and the tips and shortcuts shared.
- Competition Bureau
I have learnt something, Trainer tried to help us with our queries.
Angelika Czapka, LKQ Polska Sp. z o. o.
I learned new things so that is a good point
Daria - Angelika Czapka, LKQ Polska Sp. z o. o.
Julia - Angelika Czapka, LKQ Polska Sp. z o. o.
The applicability of the content
EPFL HBP PCO
The tips for many of the functions that the trainer presented, which we can easily remember and implement in our future work
Emilija Stoilova - EPFL HBP PCO
1. Clear theoretical explanation of concepts and alternatives to problem solving. 2. Practical examples where concepts are, and can be applied. 3. I learnt skills that I can use in my job, which will make some of my work easier 4. It will definitely bring some innovation into some of the reports I prepare for different Committees.
Sindiso Ndlovu - Export Credit insurance corporation
The reminder of the world of statistics :)
Export Credit insurance corporation
Steve was willing to answer every questions and worked diligently to address any individual concerns or technical issues as they arose in the class. He also did a great job of presenting the technical details in a way that made it less intimidating to even the least tech savvy people in the room. Personally, learning about some useful shortcuts in Excel that I didn't know about will certainly improve my overall workflow when using Excel in the future! I am so appreciative of those little details that I was exposed to during the two-day training.
Alan Gonzalez - Queens College, CUNY
The fact he had dif excel and data sheets with exercises for us to do.
Deepakie Singh Sodhi - Queens College, CUNY
The fact that we had the time to cover some useful extras.
Alina Vishniakova - TUI Business Services GmbH
I generally liked the trainer Knowledge.
- SAP Business Objects
Flexibility of the trainer
Going through all the different examples and explaining each of the terms.
Lewis Print - Claire Dawson, Terumo Aortic
very detailed, was good watching the demos on how to use the software, made It very easy to follow and then use.
Claire Dawson, Terumo Aortic
Interactive, well explained and not overly in-depth with each section required to cover each section
Christopher Beattie - Claire Dawson, Terumo Aortic
The practical demonstrations
Simson McCreath - Claire Dawson, Terumo Aortic
The trainer had an excellent understanding of the subject matter, and was able to answer any questions easily and concisely.
Craig Renfrew - Claire Dawson, Terumo Aortic
Gaining practical experience of Minitab software.
Layna Thompson - Terumo Aortic
The content was relevant to my minitab requirements. Tomasz provided an explanation and the reasons why he was completing the exercises in the way he did.
The knowledge & experience of the trainer.
Exercises/Examples at end of chapter
Trainer was very knowledgeable
Gary McAlonan - Terumo Aortic
he is patient
Abdul De kock - Vodacom
Overview and understanding how big the topic is
British American Shared Services Europe BAT GBS Finance, WER/Centre/EEMEA
his knowlede and practical exemples
A lot of knowldege - theoretical and practical
Ambari management tool. Ability to discuss practical Hadoop experiences from other business case than telecom.
Lot of hands-on exercises.
It was very hands-on, we spent half the time actually doing things in Cloudera/Hadoop, running different commands, checking the system, and so on. The extra materials (books, websites, etc...) were really appreciated, we will have to continue to learn. The installations were quite fun, and very handy, the cluster setup from scratch was really good.
Many hands-on sessions.
Big competences of Trainer
Trainer give reallive Examples
Tomasz was engaging and always ready to answer our questions. This course wouldn't have worked without him.
Kelly Gale, Global Knowledge Network Training Ltd
The R-programming overview training is quite intensive but Tomasz is always helpful, energetic and up to date. On top of it, he is passionate about R. I would highly recommend his R sessions to anyone interested in R.
Luiza Panoschi - Kelly Gale, Global Knowledge Network Training Ltd
Very knowledgeable instructor and I was given the tools and confidence to start exploring R on my own.
Canada Revenue Agency
I really enjoyed the first day on navigating R-Studio and some of the shortcuts he provided though out other days.
Canada Revenue Agency
I really love the hands-on approach that Michael designed. It was very effective to have short PowerPoint lessons that explained concepts, and then be able to apply it in the virtual environment in R. I was also very excited to see how powerful a tool R can be, and am I looking forward to keep learning more in the future.
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Practice exercises were relevant and very helpful to reinforce the knowledge.
Andy Kwan - Environment and Climate Change Canada
Follow-along exercises after slide presentation kept engagement.
Robin White - Environment and Climate Change Canada
Michael was very knowledgeable and clear in his instruction of the training. Course was well structured to teach the desired subject as well as the right amount of room was left to adjust to fit our needs better. Over all, I am very happy with the course.
Brock Batey - Environment and Climate Change Canada
I was benefit from the guidance and sharing life examples + answering all questions.
Marta Melloch - Amazon Development Center Poland Sp. z o.o.
Expertise and huge knowledge of the trainer.
- Amazon Development Center Poland Sp. z o.o.
The trainer concentrated on the key topics.
- Amazon Development Center Poland Sp. z o.o.
I really enjoyed the all the best.
Halil polat - Amazon Development Center Poland Sp. z o.o.
The information given was interesting and the best part was towards the end when we were provided with Data from Murex and worked on Data we are familiar with and perform operations to get results.
The hands on exercise and the trainer capacity to explain complex topics in simple terms
I like the exercices done