Session 1: Business Overview of Why IoT is So Important
- Case Studies from Nest, CISCO and top industries
- IoT adaptation rate in North American & and how they are aligning their future business model and operation around IoT
- Smart City
- Energy and cost optimization
- Connected Car and parking
- IoT healthcare
- Business Rule Generation for IoT
- 3 layered architecture of Big Data — Physical (Sensors), Communication, and Data Intelligence
Session 2: IoT Revenue model for Telecos /IoT adoption to Telco
- Connectivity only service – providing SIM inside device, providing special data service for connected device
- Third Party vertical IoT integration - In this approach, the operator partners with a provider of IoT/M2M solutions (solutions that typically comprise hardware and software), reselling the solution, often under its own brand to its own customers. Example applications in this category are fleet management or ePOS systems. Illustrations include Masternaut’s partnerships with Telefonica, Swisscom and KPN. In each case, the Masternaut application and device is sold and supported by the telecoms operator, which uses its own brand.
- Selling internal product : The third approach is for an operator to sell its own solution in selected vertical markets, either developed internally or gained through acquisition and to control the service end to end. Vodafone and Verizon have followed this approach through acquisition (of Cobra and Hughes Telematics respectively) and a number of operators have also developed small, often bespoke, products internally.
- Providing broad menu of M2M services : an operator could concentrate on what common elements it can provide for multiple vertical markets. These could include traditional operator strengths, such as connectivity, but also reach into different areas, such as hosting, support and application enablement.
Session 3: Introduction to IoT : All About SensorsL
- Basic function and architecture of a sensor — sensor body, sensor mechanism, sensor calibration, sensor maintenance, cost and pricing structure, legacy and modern sensor network — all the basics about the sensors
- Development of sensor electronics — IoT vs legacy, and open source vs traditional PCB design style
- Development of sensor communication protocols — history to modern days. Legacy protocols like Modbus, relay, HART to modern day Zigbee, Zwave, X10,Bluetooth, ANT, etc.
- Different Kind of Calibration Techniques — manual, automation, infield, primary and secondary calibration — and their implication in IoT
- Powering options for sensors — battery, solar, Witricity, Mobile and PoE
- Hands on training with single silicon and other sensors like temperature, pressure, vibration, magnetic field, power factor etc.
Demo : Logging data from a temperature sensor
Session 4: Fundamentals of M2M Communication : Sensor Network and Wireless Protocols
- What is a sensor network? What is ad-hoc network?
- Wireless vs. Wireline network
- WiFi- 802.11 families: N to S — application of standards and common vendors.
- Zigbee and Zwave — advantage of low power mesh networking. Long distance Zigbee. Introduction to different Zigbee chips.
- Bluetooth/BLE: Low power vs high power, speed of detection, class of BLE. Introduction of Bluetooth vendors & their review.
- Creating network with Wireless protocols such as Piconet by BLE
- Protocol stacks and packet structure for BLE and Zigbee
- Other long distance RF communication link
- LOS vs NLOS links
- Capacity and throughput calculation
- Application issues in wireless protocols — power consumption, reliability, PER, QoS, LOS
- Sensor networks for WAN deployment using LPWAN. Comparison of various emerging protocols such as LoRaWAN, NB-IoT etc.
- Hands on training with sensor network
Demo : Device control using BLE
Session 5: Introduction to Mobile App & IoT PAAS Platform
- Protocol stack of Mobile app for IoT
- Mobile to server integration –what are the factors to look out
- What are the intelligent layer that can be introduced at Mobile app level ?
- Microsoft Azure IoT
- Amazon AWS-IoT
- Web Interfaces for Mobile Apps ( REST/WebSockets)
- IoT Application layer protocols (MQTT/CoAP)
- Security for IoT middleware- Keys, Token and random password generation for authentication of the gateway devices.
Demo : Mobile app for tracking IoT enabled trash cans/ AWS IoT demo using a MEMS sensor for ambient and motion tracking
Session 6: Machine Learning for Intelligent IoT
- Introduction to Machine learning
- Learning classification techniques
- Bayesian Prediction-preparing training file
- Support Vector Machine
- Predicting failure of the machines -vibrational analysis
- Current signature analysis
- Time series data and prediction
- IoT data visualization
- Security alarms
Demo : Using KNN Algorithm for regression analysis
SVM based classification for image and video analysisDemo :
Session 7: IoT Connectivity service by CSP
- low cost of connectivity modules and data transmission
- low energy consumption
- Wide area coverage
- Efficient scalability
- Providing IoT connectivity rural /remote areas -LPWAN, LoRATM
- New 3GPP standard
- Case studies
Session 8: 5G and IoT service
- Orthogonal multiplex access in 1-4G-why Orthogonal TDM is not good for IoT service connectivity
- Non-orthogonal multiplex access for IoT services-why does it work better for IoT services
- Unified framework for connectivity in Smart City environment & 5G
- Non-orthogonal access to Massive MIMO, Cloud radio access network, full duplexing
Session 9: Security in IoT Implementation
- Why security is absolutely essential for IoT
- Mechanism of security breach in IOT layer
- Privacy enhancing technologies
- Fundamental of network security
- Encryption and cryptography implementation for IoT data
- Security standard for available platform
- European legislation for security in IoT platform
- Secure booting
- Device authentication
- Firewalling and IPS
- Updates and patches
Session 10: Case study of Verizon IoT offering
- Mobile commerce
- Asset Tracking & Management
- 4G LTE+IOT
- Things Space for IoT Development / Providing IoT platform SAAS /IAAS/PAAS service
Session 11: A few Common IoT system that TELCOS are selling
- Energy Metering – Smart meters
- Home automation / Temp control/ Security
- Smart Watch
- Smart Health
- Smart Camera
Demo : Smart METER
Session 12: Big Data for IoT
- 4V- Volume, velocity, variety and veracity of Big Data
- Why Big Data is important in IoT
- Big Data vs legacy data in IoT
- Hadoop for IoT-when and why?
- Storage technique for image, Geospatial and video data
- Distributed database- Cassandra as example
- Parallel computing basics for IoT
Demo : Apache Spark
- Basic knowledge of business operation, devices, electronics systems and data systems
- Basic understanding of software and systems
- Basic understanding of Statistics (in Excel levels)
Exposure to IoT was an opener.
Goleba, Water Utilities Botswana
The training was relevant to my needs and I would be able to apply the lessons learnt to meet my challenging needs
Botshabelo Jason - Goleba, Water Utilities Botswana
He had a very good manner,
James Gordon - Argent Energy
I liked the exercises
Rehrig Pacific COmpany
Case studies related IoT.
University of the Western Cape
How friendly the trainer was. The flexibility and answering my questions.
Saed El-kayed - International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
The trainer was very knowledgeable, and the discussion very interesting.
Deep knowledge and experience of the subject
Practical examples and wider context given.
James - Jahedul Chowdhury , Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre Europe BV (MERCE-UK)
hands on exercise
Jahedul Chowdhury , Mitsubishi Electric R&D Centre Europe BV (MERCE-UK)
The practical part and the side explanations that trainer provided in order for us to understand better the topics and how can be applied for use cases we were interested in
Continental Automotive Romania SRL
I enjoyed the relaxed mood. Also there was a very good balance between theoretical presentation and practical side.
Calin Berariu - Continental Automotive Romania SRL
Exercises and practical applications
Doru Marian Aldea Ungurean - Continental Automotive Romania SRL
The exercises , examples and practical application
Doru Marian Aldea ungurean - Continental Automotive Romania SRL
The practical part, I was able to perform exercises and to test the Microsoft Azure features
Alex Bela - Continental Automotive Romania SRL
The real life examples Ron gave.
Ron was very mindful of his audience and addressed everyone's questions. He checked his audience for clarity and was willing to spend the time to review a topic until everyone understood the topic. He gauged the audience for energy levels and suggested a break when he saw that the energy from the group was waning. This was much appreciated.
Very knowledgeable trainer, was able to adjust to audience knowledge, excellent industry experience and ability to relate to audience needs Excellent content preparation , tailored to needs discussed beforehand. Good supplement reading materials prepared by trainer
Oliver Steinig - Bosch
relevance of content to our I4.0 business environment
Ron's experience on how to successfully implement IoT projects and the deep technical subjects covered.
His deep knowledge of the IoT topic.
Level of expertise from the trainer Use case examples
Pierre Maillot - Bosch
Ann is very knowledgeable on the subject. She is constantly varying pace according to the feedback. There is a lot of room for discussing attendee's own experiences. It was a great joy !.
Sjoerd Hulzinga - KPN p/a Bloomville
getting knowledge about AWS account good practice and setup for a cloud connection good structure and summery in the evening
- dormakaba Schweiz AG
Well prepared exercises, hands-on experience
- dormakaba Schweiz AG
It is one on one. I can ask a lot of question and also ask the trainner to repeat when I was not clear about some stuff.